Saturday, April 7, 2007

13 Weeks! Exhausted.

This week has been busy and I am definitely ready for a weekend of some minor relaxation. Wednesday of this week I went in for my glucose tolerance test. My initial one hour test came back elevated with a score of 188. My body should not be over 135-140. So, I was scheduled for a four hour poke and prick session. Wednesday morning, after fasting since 11:00p, I arrived at the lab at 8:00a for an initial urine sample to check for any sugar, which was negative (that's good!) then they drew my blood and I drank a bottle of a sugary liquid... it basically tasted like a cold, flat, sunkist. Not horrible, but not something I would choose to drink on a regular basis. I had to drink that liquid within 5 minutes. Then began the waiting. One hour after I had finished the bottle, they drew blood out of my other arm (9:20am). Another hour of waiting and a draw of blood out of my initial arm (10:20a). Finally, one more hour of waiting and the last blood draw (11:20a). I felt pretty good the whole time, but when i got to work to start eating lunch, the sweating began to come. Just a little too long without some nourishment. I was not going to pass out on our work floor! Luckily I had been already eating when this came on so it soon passed without any incident. Whew!! I should find out either today or Monday what the results are. There are cases of women developing gestational diabetes during pregnancy and this test will tell me if i am one of the "lucky" ones. Typically it will go away after the birth of the baby and is only something that you deal with during pregnancy. So, please say a prayer that I can pass this test with flying colors.

Yesterday, I got to head back to the doctor to receive my Rhogan shot for being a negative blood type. They of course drew blood again! (sigh) This blood draw was to test for any antibodies in my system. Then the lady came in to give me the shot. As if I hadn't been poked enough in the past few days, I asked where the shot would be administered... yes, in the backside. (sigh) All modesty goes right out the window in pregnancy. You have the joy of getting up close and personal with so many people that you barely know. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The shot was of course painless, but I am ready for some time off from the needles.

Please just keep all of these tests and results in your prayers. We know we have the best prayer warriors on our side :)

Well, enough of me, let's get to what you all really want to know about... the baby. In two more weeks I will be having the 3D ultrasound, so stay tuned for some (hopefully) amazing pictures... as long as he cooperates.

-------

Your baby is really starting to fill up your uterus. This week he weighs almost 2 pounds and is about 14.4 inches long with his legs extended. He can now open and close his eyes, and he sleeps and wakes at regular intervals. He may suck his fingers, and although his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with assistance — if he were to be
born prematurely. Chalk up any rhythmic movement you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common
from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and isn't bothersome to him, so enjoy the tickle. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. Wonder what he's thinking?

Baby Image at 27 weeks!
http://www.babycenter.com/general/1498735.html

No comments: