Monday, July 9, 2007

Rylen Jaric Robbins

Our beautiful miracle was born on July 2, 2007. We were able to have a wonderful birth, though not exactly what we planned for. i was able to have a natural birth with no epidural, only a one stitch tear (very minor) and was able to breastfeed him with both of us VERY alert right after the birth. Our nurse/midwife, Karen Brock was amazing and if anyone chooses to give birth at the Woodlands Memorial Hermann, I would HIGHLY suggest her.

We also chose to have a doula Debbie Hull and she was key to us getting through the days event.

My water broke Saturday morning and I was not in labor. We tried to get my labor started through all natural means, but my body would not get past 7 minute contractions. So, Sunday evening, we headed to the hospital. Once at the hospital, i was only 2cm with very "lazy" contractions. I had to have antibiotics and pitocin because we were already under a time frame that the hospital was not comfortable with. The pitocin definitely increased the intensity and I thought I was making good progress when they checked me and I was 5 cm and 50% effaced. But when they checked me three hours later and I was still only 5cm but 100% effaced, I thought I was going to die! Without Debbie, I know the contractions would have gotten the best of me. She just kept asking me questions about what i wanted to do and by the time I could answer, i had already had quite a few more. At this point, they thought the baby had flipped on me and was posterior. The pitocin had made me quite nauseated to do anything but be in a reclined position. So, they had me turn around and kneel as they swung my hips to get him to flip back around. After just a few contractions in this position I suddenly felt the urge to push, but was scared knowing I was only 5cm. Karen told me to push if i couldn't control it and so i did. I had a few contractions in the bathroom and when i returned Karen asked if I wanted to be checked. I was anxious to know if there was any progress. To everyone's surprise, I was +2!! He was almost here! Just a few more minutes of pushing and our little miracle came into the world within 7 hours of arriving at 8:57am (with only 30 minutes of pushing) He was 5lbs 10oz and 18.5 inches long. Surprisingly small for only 4 days early. I just figured he was staying small to help his momma out. This was definitely the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but so worth it. I can't believe i did it without an epidural! Amazingly, 2 weeks later, the pain of the contractions are but a distant memory. Funny how the body works.

i want to say thank you to Dorin for a wonderful class, the knowledge that we had going in to this helped us to make crucial decisions. My husband also felt empowered in knowing what was happening. Though he didn't realize it at the time, there were certain things that he witnessed that made him realize we were at the end of the labor. The birth of our child was so beautiful and we were able to get it on film as well. Something we will cherish forever. Hopefully next time we will be able to go completely without any sort of intervention.

No comments: