Monday, March 23, 2009

Our Pineapple

I had my 33 week appointment yesterday and all was well. The appointments are rather boring at this stage. Just checking my blood pressure, listening for the baby's heartbeat (153 beats), checking his positioning (butt in my ribs, head down), and talking about any questions. As far as the check-up, everything was perfect. My only question to her was the fact that I have actually felt a couple of contractions in the past few weeks. I wasn't sure I remembered having any this early. I was assured that this was normal and nothing to worry about as long as they stopped. So, even with my question, everything is still going along normally. 7 weeks to go!

Baby Update:
-----
This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. He's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.
-----

No comments: