Monday, July 13, 2009

Jace Alexander - 2 months

Jace turned 2 months today at 3:30 this morning. Yes, and I WAS up this morning at 3:30a with him to celebrate this occasion just as I was 2 months ago. Only this time it was a little less dramatic. We weren't in a hospital and I wasn't in labor, we were at home. Rylen and Robby were sleeping and I was quietly nursing Jace. He now weighs 9lbs 6.4oz and is approximately 21.5 in long. I can't believe how much he has grown. Jace gives us many smiles and coos throughout the day now. He is also quite the kicker, just like his brother. We are finally out of newborn clothing and into 0-3 or 3 month outfits. I think he is moving through his clothes a bit quicker than Rylen did, though their measurements are fairly close. Jace is just a tiny bit bigger. We don't quite have a good routine during the day. He is starting to get to a consistent 3-hour eating schedule, but his naps are still a tad shorter than I would like. Jace is a back/side sleeper and so he tends to wake up from some of his naps and not drift back off again. Rylen was a belly sleeper and had an easier time getting longer naps in. If Jace does drift back off, we easily have a 3-4 hour eating schedule. So, we are still working on this. At night we are starting to get closer to 5 hours at night. We've had quite a few 4-3-3 nights and last night we had a 5-2.5-4 night. So, I think we are heading in the right direction. Besides sleep deprivation on my part, Jace is a delightful addition to our family. He smiles at Rylen when he comes to kiss and love on him, which Rylen does QUITE OFTEN! I could hardly get his 2-month pictures without Rylen kissing or hugging him in every shot.

It is easy to try and compare our two boys, though I try to let Jace be his own person and take him at HIS stride. Jace is very laid back most of the time and takes to the noise of the house easily. I do try to put him in our bedroom, though, for his naps so that abrupt loud noises don't wake him up. Otherise, our house stays at its normal level of volume. Another difference of our boys is that Jace elevates in his cries when he is at his wits end. That usually ends in him gasping for air because he has cried so hard or has that whimper periodically for many minutes after his cry has stopped. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, it takes a bit to get him to settle down. Rylen was an even crier. Basically one level, but much more frequently. Still, crying happens and they both have been pretty easy babies with no colic, etc. We have definitely been blessed.

This was also a big month for me personally. 6-weeks is when the arthritis usually comes back and I was in anticipation to see what would happen this time around. I took a look at my 2-month update this morning for Rylen and read how I felt about two years ago:

"On a side note, my arthritis has reared its ugly head the past couple of weeks and has peaked this week. It is not pleasant and I was hoping this would hold off until I stopped breastfeeding. ....as of this week, I am finding it almost impossible to move around a lot. Burping Rylen is very painful trying to get him up to my shoulder and I tend to have to burp him on my lap. I am typically deciding which floor to be on these days as walking up and down the stairs makes me cringe..." - September 20th, 2007

I have to say that reading that actually brings a smile to my face. I have not been pain-free, but I have not felt anywhere near what that post reads. I am taking on Jace in the evenings on my own and still burping him at my shoulder. I have not had to decide which floor to be on and though I have had a few days with issues in my feet. Today I feel nothing. I am so excited to think that I will be able to continue to nurse Jace long after I stopped with Rylen. I am sad that I wasn't able to give this gift to Rylen, but with God's guidance, we are able to give this to Jace. I do ask for continued prayers on this. I am not completely pain free and this is still my lofty goal. I am determined to stay active, eat right, and take my supplements. In fact, one plan of mine is to run the half-marathon in January. God willing, we shall see!

Happy 2-months sweet Jace!
Jace's 2 month photos

No comments: